Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Post Holiday Stress Disorder (PHSD)

Although you will not find it in the DSM V, this should be a category in psychological illnesses. Symptoms include emotional letdown followed by extreme anxiety issues. Anxiety may revolve around many issues but may include returning to work, finances (did we spend money we didn't have?), reality of life itself, or concerns over family relationships. So many of us "rev" ourselves up for the momentus occasion. There is tremendous excitement and anticipation for that tiny moment in life. When it is over, all we seem to have is a house in total destruction. The gift wrap that was so carefully placed around the presents is torn and tattered all over the floor. The kids are already bored. We are all fed up with leftovers. Depression begins to settle in. What is the treatment? We make New Year's Resolutions. We resolve to improve ourselves "next year." Usually, it is something about losing weight. Why focus on the outside? How about, this year, we resolve to work on the inner self? MY resolutions look like this:
1. To love myself unconditionally
2. I will tell myself 5 positive affirmations every morning.
3. To meditate 15 min twice a day.
4. Follow my food plan as prescribed by my dietician
5. Take all my meds and see my doctor's regularly
6. Remember to tell the important people in my life how much they mean to me-frequently.
7. Read daily inspirational pages, then journal reflecting on passage in relation to me and my life.
8. Faithfully, attend OA meetings.
9. Learn 1 thing every day
10. Every night, before I go to bed, list 10 things that I am grateful for from that day.

Turn all your worries over to a HP of your choosing. Enjoy the life you have been given, you only get one chance. Beauty can be found in everything. Remember the good in all things. My favorite memory of this holiday season is the unsolicited hugs from my family and hearing "I love you" from all of them. No fancy gift wrap needed.

Good luck to you. Recovery is a serene place to be. Won't you join me?
Ang

No comments: